DSpace Repository

Die Pietersburgse konsentrasiekamp, Mei 1901 tot Februarie 1902

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.author Krugell JE en
dc.date.accessioned 2016-09-22T07:15:53Z
dc.date.available 2016-09-22T07:15:53Z
dc.date.created 1985 en
dc.date.submitted 1988 en
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/20.500.11892/9100
dc.description.abstract The Pietersburg Concentration Camp was established on 11 May 1901 with Mr J. E. Tucker as its superintendent. It accommodated an average of 3 378 persons per month. The inhabitants lived intents for more than a year, with rations of maize meal, coffee, salt, sugar and meat. An effort was made to supplement this diet by provisions from the camp's shop. Religious services became an important part of camp life. A school was established and by February 1902 there were 750 pupils, almost three times as many children as had attended school in that area prior to the outbreak of war. Camp labour was encouraged. A vegetable garden was started and various trades were carried on in the camp. Many people were already ill when they arrived at the camp. The most common diseases were malaria, diarrhoea, pneumonia, bronchitis and measles. There was only one doctor, one pharmacist and one nurse, who, together with five student-nurses, a camp matron and her twelve assistants, took care of the hundreds of sick. The entire camp was moved to Colenso in Natal after General Beyers attacked it on 23 January 1902. en
dc.language Afrikaans en
dc.subject History en
dc.subject Anglo-Boer War, 1899-1902 en
dc.title Die Pietersburgse konsentrasiekamp, Mei 1901 tot Februarie 1902 en
dc.type Masters degree en
dc.description.degree MA en


Files in this item

Files Size Format View

There are no files associated with this item.

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record